In the Fall of 2016, T.O. Philly hosted a workshop series on race and undoing racism. Each week we posted material here for folks both in and outside of the workshop to use. Links:
- Racial Microaggressions: Brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults towards people of color.
- Internalized Racism: The conscious or unconscious assimilation of racist attitudes or beliefs by people in the subordinate or dominant group towards members of their own ethnic group, including themselves. This can include the belief in ethnic stereotypes relating to their own group.
Next, this week's assignments:
1. WATCH this short animation about microaggressions:
2. READ through this chart, which lists 10 common themes of racial microaggressions with examples and the messages that these microaggressions transmit.
3. WRITE in your Race Journal!
4. CHECK IN with your buddy about what you've been reading, writing, and experiencing.