In early 2016, T.O. Philly hosted a workshop series on race and undoing racism. Each week we posted material here for folks both in and outside of the workshop to use. Each page archived here contains things to read, watch, hear and do:
ASSIGNMENTS FOR WEEK 4: We will shift gears a bit toward unpacking microaggressions, internalized subordination, white privilege/fragility. Start by reading or watching something under each topic. When an article or video resonates with you, go deeper into that topic by looking at the other resources.
1. INTERNALIZED SUBORDINATION
- "Internalized Racism" (short video, above) Definition and examples.
- "Connecting the Disconnected" (article) Cultural appropriation and colonialism as an erasure of history and an impediment to solidarity.
- "Dear Young Man of Color" (short spoken word film) Internalized duality of tokenism and cultural pride in the Asian American community.
- "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" (short video, above) A primer of 50 examples.
- "Why White People Freak Out When They're Called Out About Race" (article) Interview about white fragility.
- "Admitting that white privilege helps you is really just congratulating yourself" (article + embedded video) How naming privilege alone can do very little to dismantle institutional racism and even support the white supremacist narrative.
4. JOURNALING: In reading,writing, and.or experiencing aspects of the above topics, what are the similarities? The differences? What are the parallels and points of intersection between these experiences?
Next: Building solidarity.
5. ONE MORE SHORT VISEO: A fictitious company explains the services that they provide and why. Check out their website for more info.